Who we are
Locala is a not-for-profit social enterprise that is proud to provide a variety of community healthcare services ensuring health and wellbeing, helping to create better lives. In our latest CQC inspection, Locala was rated as “good” across all our services and for the quality of our leadership.
We are in the great position of having the flexibility to tailor our services to meet the needs of our communities - and any financial surplus is re-invested straight back into supporting patient care.
Those services care for, and support people, from before birth to end of life, ranging from health visitors to physiotherapy, and sexual health to district nursing, as well as dental care, school nurses, and foot care, our colleagues always aim to provide high quality, value for money care and support people closer to home.
We work closely with GPs, Social Services, other local NHS organisations and Local Authorities to deliver a co-ordinated approach to care and support.
Locala employs around 1500 people who are all committed to delivering the very best services to patients. Our team are part of the community and have often cared for generations within the same family. We continue to be part of the NHS family and deliver care under the same ethos.
Locala’s new nursing career brochure can be read here
Locala has been recognised in national awards in the past few years. These include:
- In December 2019 Locala’s colleague coaching programme, led by the Organisational Development Team, and involving colleagues across the organisation, won gold in the Training Journal Awards for Best Coaching or Mentoring Service.
- Locala’s leg ulcer work was shortlisted for a Health Service Journal Award in 2019
- Chief Executive, Karen Jackson, was shortlisted in the female leader category at the Social Enterprise UK Awards in 2019
- In 2021 Locala was shortlisted for Best Community Provider in the HSJ Awards”
Leadership and Membership
Locala is led by our Board of Directors and Members' Council who are central to how we ensure our business runs as effectively as possible.
As a social enterprise, Locala now has more than 2,300 members made up of Locala colleagues and members of the community. Members are represented by our Members Council and are a driving force for positive change, playing an active role in shaping our services.
Locala’s Board is made up of Executive Directors and their Non-Executive counterparts who work to provide strategic direction for the organisation . It has responsibility for making sure:
- we provide safe, effective and high quality care for patients
- we manage our finances to enable us to invest in services
- we plan for the future and adapt to change
- we meet our regulatory and contractual obligations.
Through our social enterprise approach, we provide innovative services that reflect the needs of local communities which means Locala is involved in partnership working in a number of areas.
An example of excellent partnership working is our relationship with Age UK, as part of the Care Closer to Home contract, delivering NHS community healthcare services across Kirklees. This involved the introduction of two “Personal Independence Coordinators”. These individuals support older people to live well at home. Preventing unnecessary re-admittance to hospital, they help older people navigate the complex world of health and social care.
We also are the lead organisation for the Thriving Kirklees partnership – providing integrated services for children and young people aged 0-19 and their families - and a key partner in Healthy Futures Calderdale, bringing together services for school aged children.